Friday, May 18, 2007

Starting to Upload New Pictures.

I started using my homemade light tent, and had a little trouble using it at the beginning. My photos are starting to become better, and even if I have to edit my photos, that looks a lot better than what I used to have in my shop.

Here are a couple of examples ;

These Kid's bracelets used to look horrible on a wooden surface, under a halogen lamp. I tried the white background, but I couldn't balance the whites correctly with my camera, and it was even worse when it came to editing. I had some scrapbooking paper left, so I decided to use it, to have less whites to deal with... AND I LIKE IT ! Doesn't look too heavy, since I used a neutral gray here.

I sold two of them, the blue one is still for sale. I might list some more, since I have another blue bracelet, and other colors would be available.

I also had trouble photographing necklaces, since my light tent is too small to contain my leather busts on which I usually show my necklaces. I finally decided not to use the bust, and be able to show better quality pictures. It is still a bit gray-ish but I'm still satisfied of the result. (See picture on the left)

I might buy a smaller white leather bust, to be able to show how the necklace looks on "someone", or just buy a normal light tent that looks less shaky than the one I have and in which I can photograph necklaces on the bust I already have... That's an option ! (Or an advanced Christmas Prezzie !)


I also changed the way I photograph my lampwork bracelets on a wooden surface, with no bracelet support. They looked flat and boring. The colors would not stand out and they would appear really washed. I tried putting them on a bracelet display, in a light tent. I kept the white background, but put the light source farther from the box. (Yeah, a friend of mine, who's a professionnal photographer, told me that the farther your light gets from your subject, the less you're going to end up with big gray shadows on the edge of your picture. Try it it works =P Makes editing much more easier !) And WOW ! Look at the result O_O I also photographed it on a flat white surface, and my listing got 3 pictures in it.

I'm not done replacing pictures in my shop, since it is very time-consuming. My objective is to finish this task before I finish school (July 6th) so I can have a break during my vacation in the UK.

If anyone has great tips about photographying jewelry, please let me know ! I'm dieing to learn.

No comments: