Sunday, August 24, 2008

Nom nom nom. Take 2

Yesterday was a really busy day for me. In fact, I decided that I was going to be done with boxes, and that I would find a spot for every craft supplie that lies on the floor. This was the mission I gave to myself, and I must say that I was quite successful completing it ! Photos coming soon.

I also cooked with the milk I had left in the fridge. My biggest challenge, now, is to get used to buy stuff for two. I had to throw so much stuff because we couldn't eat it before it went bad... Just this morning, I had to throw a container full of cooked ham because we couldn't eat it all. I really should have put it in the freezer. I guess I'll get used to it gradually. Now I know when to buy milk, and which quantity is needed. I had to freeze 2 bags of milk so it doesn't go bad. I cooked some pudding with the rest. (Well, Blanc-manger pudding is awesome anyway.)


Old Fashionned "Blanc-manger"
3 tablespoons of Corn Starch
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 1/4 cups of milk
1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Mix the corn starch with sugar and salt. Gradually add milk.

Keep on stirring the milk mix on low heat until it boils (or becomes thick like a bechamelle) and be careful not to scrape the bottom of the pan. (At least if it sticks at the bottom, you'll be able to avoid the burnt milk taste.)

Let boil for 1 minute (Mine never gets to boil, because I keep on stirring like mad, but you'll notice a change in texture. It will become a lot thicker than it was.) Then, remove from heat and add the vanilla.

Put in the fridge, and serve cold with strawberry or blueberry jam on top. Or no jam. Your choice =)


This is a good recipe when you have a lot of milk and don't know what to do with it. I will come up with new recipes soon ! Since I moved, I cook a lot more and try a lot more things too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With 6 kids we never have extra milk, but I sent the recipe to my wife anyways.
Rod

Beth said...

Geeze. Organizing. I really need to do it too. Good for you!

Karen - My Tiny Little LIfe said...

This sounds delicious!